ABOUT LANCASTER UNIVERSITY GHANA
• Ghana’s National Accreditation Board approved Lancaster University Ghana, a branch campus of the highly ranked Lancaster University, UK. Conveniently located in East Legon, the university campus admitted its first cohort of undergraduate students in October 2013 and postgraduate students in July 2015. This is a partnership between Lancaster University and Trans National Education, Ghana Ltd.
• Lancaster University Ghana is the only fully fledged branch campus in West Africa and is set to grow into a major regional teaching and research university of international standing.
• Graduates receive the same degree certificate that they would have received had they studied in the UK and the transcript indicates the location of study of each module. Individualised voluntary exchange programmes have been developed, which encourage students to study at the parent campus for one or more terms during their university career.
• Lancaster University is committed to producing graduates who have skills and knowledge to meet Ghana’s industrial, societal and governmental needs.
• The university also admits qualified students from other West African countries, offering them a prestigious UK higher education opportunity without the need to travel abroad.
• Students are able to study a wide range of subjects including management, law, international relations, computing and psychology at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
• Students are taught by a combination of international, local and Lancaster University academics. Faculty from the parent campus in Lancaster currently teach the Executive MBA modules and provide guest lectures and/or co-teach undergraduate programmes with Accra based academics.
• Local staff undertake continuous certificated staff development programmes, delivered by LU staff in both Ghana and the UK.
Rankings , teaching and research
• Lancaster is ranked in the top one percent of universities in the world and is highly ranked in all UK university league tables - as well as achieving high scores in terms of student satisfaction, according to the National Student Survey.
• The University excels in research at the highest international level and in the latest government assessment had 92 percent of its research recognised as world leading or internationally significant - with some key areas of research ranked top in the UK.
• Lancaster fosters a culture of prioritising the student experience through participatory learning, and strongly encourages research. Lancaster constantly strives to guard its strong research record through significant investment in new teaching staff thereby further enhancing students’ academic involvement . The teaching team at Lancaster includes internationally renowned scholars and researchers with interests spanning a range of disciplines.
• Lancaster University’s Management school is triple-accredited by AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA and the Lancaster MBA is ranked Number 1 in the World for Corporate Strategy (according to The Financial Times)
Opportunities for students
• Students at Lancaster University Ghana have the opportunity to spend part of their degree at Lancaster University, either for a semester or for a full academic year.
• Lancaster University is respected by graduate employers evidenced by the fact that 93per cent of Lancaster students find employment or further study within six months of graduating. Our research addresses important scientific problems and technological challenges and we develop graduates who are skilled and highly employable.
• The world of work is becoming increasingly global and the ability to communicate between different cultures even more essential. Students studying at one of Lancaster’s overseas campuses may take part in summer schools based at Lancaster University. This offers the chance to network, study and learn about a different culture.
• There are many exciting international volunteering opportunities for students available through LUSU Involve – the award winning volunteering arm of Lancaster University Students’ Union. Students can share life changing experiences with Lancaster students from all over the world.
• The Lancaster Award recognises extra-curricular achievements. Many Lancaster students are already involved in many extra-curricular activities, and the award aims to encourage students to complete such activities and be recognised for their accomplishments.
• Business and industry are key to Lancaster’s mission to produce applied knowledge and top graduates, and Lancaster is currently working with over 1000 businesses per year.
• The network of overseas teaching partnerships is a key component of Lancaster’s global outreach and commitment to internationalisation. Lancaster degree programmes are currently taught at branch campuses in collaboration with local institutions in India, Pakistan and Malaysia and there are plans to open a campus in China.
• With over 13000 students in total, Lancaster has 22 per cent of undergraduates and 70 per cent of its postgraduates coming from outside the UK. Over 100 different nationalities are represented on the campus. Lancaster offers a welcoming and diverse community with a global perspective to life and learning.
• Lancaster has a thriving alumni network of over 100,000 alumni in 148 countries worldwide.
Lancaster University campus
• The campus is located in East Legon, in a vibrant community close to several restaurants, gyms, sports centres, boutiques and the main city airport.
• The new campus space includes a dedicated learning common for students which include break out rooms, counselling offices, careers and student life offices. The new facilities also include a dedicated EMBA suite for the Lancaster University Executive MBA programme, a purpose built lecture theatre, tutorial and seminar rooms, along with additional offices for the University’s growing academic staff.
• Undergraduate students enjoy a maximum class size of 15 in the tutorials whilst the lecture size is 60 students. The combined capacity across both locations will allow the University to grow up to 1,000 students across its foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate students.
• All lecture theatres, seminar rooms and laboratories are state of the art. The library is stocked with over 1 million items as well as access to a large number of e-journals. Students at Lancaster University Ghana have access to these resources.
LANCASTER UNIVERSITY GHANA LOCATION
CT 9823, Accra-Ghana
Box 00233 Accra Greater Accra